Call for a consultation 513-895-0030
Menu Contact

Domestic violence: a continuing Ohio problem

At the Law Office of Kristen L Campbell LLC in Ohio, we know that domestic violence is a serious problem. Whether you are a victim or have been accused of being a perpetrator, domestic violence can tear a family apart.

In Ohio, domestic violence is illegal and means that an abuser has inflicted some type of harm on a family member or someone living in his or her household. The harm does not have to be the result of physical abuse only. It also encompasses such things as sexual abuse, emotional and/or mental abuse, financial abuse, and certain kinds of harassment, including cyberstalking. As FindLaw explains, domestic violence carries both civil and criminal penalties in Ohio and victims can avail themselves of both.

Criminal penalties

Depending on the type and seriousness of the abuse, you can be convicted of either a misdemeanor or a felony. In Ohio, domestic violence crimes and their penalties are categorized as follows:

  • Third degree misdemeanor: jail sentence of 60 days maximum and/or fine as high as $500
  • Second degree misdemeanor: jail sentence of 90 days maximum and/or fine as high as $750
  • First degree misdemeanor: jail sentence of at least six months and/or fine as high as $1,000
  • Fifth degree felony: prison sentence of 6-12 months plus fine as high as $2,500
  • Fourth degree felony: prison sentence of 6-18 months plus fine as high as $5,000
  • Third degree felony: prison sentence of from nine months to three years plus a fine as high as $10,000

If the prosecution establishes that the victim was pregnant at the time of the abuse and you knew this, the judge must set your jail sentence at between six months and one year at minimum.

Civil remedies

If you are a domestic violence victim, you have several civil protections available. You can get a Protective Order, also called a temporary restraining order. You can have your existing child custody order and/or spousal support order modified. You can file a civil lawsuit against your abuser to recover damages for such things as medical expenses and pain and suffering

For more information about this subject, please visit this page of our website. 


No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email us for a response Review Us

Do you need an experienced family law attorney?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Review Us

Our Location

300 High Street, Suite 601
Hamilton, OH 45011

Phone: 513-895-0030
Fax: 513-737-1631
Hamilton Law Office Map