At the Law Office of Kristen L Campbell LLC in Ohio, we know that domestic violence is a serious problem. Whether you are a victim or have been accused of being a perpetrator, domestic violence can tear a family apart.
In Ohio, domestic violence is illegal and means that an abuser has inflicted some type of harm on a family member or someone living in his or her household. The harm does not have to be the result of physical abuse only. It also encompasses such things as sexual abuse, emotional and/or mental abuse, financial abuse, and certain kinds of harassment, including cyberstalking. As FindLaw explains, domestic violence carries both civil and criminal penalties in Ohio and victims can avail themselves of both.
Depending on the type and seriousness of the abuse, you can be convicted of either a misdemeanor or a felony. In Ohio, domestic violence crimes and their penalties are categorized as follows:
- Third degree misdemeanor: jail sentence of 60 days maximum and/or fine as high as $500
- Second degree misdemeanor: jail sentence of 90 days maximum and/or fine as high as $750
- First degree misdemeanor: jail sentence of at least six months and/or fine as high as $1,000
- Fifth degree felony: prison sentence of 6-12 months plus fine as high as $2,500
- Fourth degree felony: prison sentence of 6-18 months plus fine as high as $5,000
- Third degree felony: prison sentence of from nine months to three years plus a fine as high as $10,000
If the prosecution establishes that the victim was pregnant at the time of the abuse and you knew this, the judge must set your jail sentence at between six months and one year at minimum.
If you are a domestic violence victim, you have several civil protections available. You can get a Protective Order, also called a temporary restraining order. You can have your existing child custody order and/or spousal support order modified. You can file a civil lawsuit against your abuser to recover damages for such things as medical expenses and pain and suffering
For more information about this subject, please visit this page of our website.