At the Law Office of Kristen L. Campbell, LLC, in Ohio, we find that growing numbers of divorcing couples today prefer mediation to litigation. One of the biggest reasons for this preference is that mediation offers couples a far more amicable way to divorce. Another big reason is that mediation allows a couple numerous options to arrive at customized negotiated solutions that precisely fit their own situation.
If you and your spouse have children, another advantage of mediation is that the two of you can devise your own post-divorce joint custody arrangement and parenting plan. Over the years, parents, child psychologists, family law judges and divorce attorneys alike have all come to view joint custody as the preferred arrangement because it benefits the children in so many ways.
Benefits for children
In a recent study reported by StatNews.com, children whose parents agreed to a post-divorce joint custody arrangement benefitted in the following ways:
- They tended to get and maintain better grades.
- They tended to establish and maintain better peer relationships.
- They tended to exhibit less depression, anxiety and stress during and after their parents’ divorce.
- They tended to abuse alcohol and/or drugs less.
- They tended to maintain better relationships with both sides of their extended families.
Benefits for parents
While studies such as the above one have pointed out the benefits children receive from having both of their parents remain a big part of their lives after a divorce, you, too, can reap many benefits from joint custody, including the following:
- You and your children’s other parent likely will find it easier to develop a positive post-divorce relationship.
- Both of you likely will cooperate better with each other, particularly with regard to your children’s needs and wants.
- Both of you likely will have a better incentive to stick to your agreed upon parenting plan.
- Both of you undoubtedly will have a better chance of remaining a vital part of your children’s lives.
For further information, please visit this page of our website.