Call for a consultation 513-895-0030
Menu Contact

May 2019 Archives

The biggest hurdle in stepparent adoptions

If your partner has developed a close bond with your kids, it is natural to view adoption as a logical next step. Although your newly formed family may be ready for this change, a biological parent may stand in your way if he or she is still in the picture. Stepparent adoption results in the termination of any previous parental rights, so your children’s natural mother or father may have strong objections.

Do grandparents have rights to their grandchildren after divorce?

As couples divorce in Ohio, the repercussions reverberate throughout generations. It is not just the kids or mom and dad who are affected by a divorce. It may be harder for kids to see cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents of the parent they do not live with. According to FindLaw, grandparents in Ohio may be granted visitation rights if they can prove they have a sincere interest in the child’s welfare.

What is a QDRO?

As you and your spouse contemplate obtaining a Ohio divorce, you should pay particular attention to your respective retirement accounts and pension plans. In all likelihood, these represent significant assets and need to be divided fairly and equitably between you.

Judge rules in favor of man's custody of dogs

People in Hamilton may tend to imbue their pets with human-like properties, referring to them as their best friends or as members of their family. While dogs, cats and other pets certainly do offer a greater level of companionship and shared affection than a standard piece of property, that is how they are viewed during divorce proceedings. Rather than rule on the custody of pets as it would with children, courts tend to determine their ownership during property division proceedings. Yet that is a principle that many have expressed a desire to see changed. 

When can Ohio grandparents seek visitation with grandchildren?

When it comes to visitation, Ohio state law extends limited rights to grandparents to spend time with their grandchildren. For example, if your child and his/her spouse have denied you access to your grandchildren because of a strained relationship between you, that is not sufficient grounds on which to petition the court for visitation with your grandchildren. 

Email us for a response Review Us

Do you need an experienced family law attorney?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Review Us

Our Location

300 High Street, Suite 601
Hamilton, OH 45011

Phone: 513-895-0030
Fax: 513-737-1631
Hamilton Law Office Map