Trusted By Families

Helping Butler county families resolve their legal matters for nearly two decades.

Do grandparents have rights to their grandchildren after divorce?

On Behalf of | May 24, 2019 | Grandparents' Rights |

As couples divorce in Ohio, the repercussions reverberate throughout generations. It is not just the kids or mom and dad who are affected by a divorce. It may be harder for kids to see cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents of the parent they do not live with. According to FindLaw, grandparents in Ohio may be granted visitation rights if they can prove they have a sincere interest in the child’s welfare.

Divorce, separation, death and annulment are all situations that may change how often grandparents get to see their kids. If the parents were never married your relationship can also be affected. As you navigate this new situation, there are some ways you can improve your relationship with your grandkids, even if you do not see them as often as you would like.

Rather than approach the situation passively, you should plan to deal with what will be your new normal. If possible, sit down with your child and their ex and explain that your main goal is to provide support for your grandkids. Your child may be tempted to use you to get to their ex, but if you play into this, it can create more turmoil and the parents should be allowed to settle their differences on their own.

Remember that your family is changing, and you need time to adjust. Someone you may have loved until just recently is no longer a member of your family and it is common for resentment to flare. Resist the urge to badmouth either parent in front of the grandchildren as they will associate negative feelings with you if you do.

If you are considering taking your grandchildren in, remember that this is a serious change, particularly for those who are already to retirement age. Consider if you can handle it physically, mentally and emotionally before making any permanent decisions.

This information is intended for educational purposes and should not be interpreted as legal advice.


FindLaw Network