Call for a consultation 513-895-0030
UPDATE: Our office will remain open during the COVID-19 happenings, however, in order to protect your safety, we do have the ability to meet with our clients via video conference or telephone. Please call the office with any related concerns or to discuss your options.
Menu Contact

Custody and visitation arrangements for military families

Divorce can be difficult for any couple. It's especially complicated for parents in the military. Being able to arrange for child visitation can be complicated, especially if the service member parent is stationed in another state or deployed overseas.

Visitation and custody arrangements between military and civilian parents are similar in that they're both made in writing and are approved by an Ohio family law judge.

Child custody schedules can be more flexible when both parents live in the same general area. Parents may have reasonable contact with one another and even designate the noncustodial parent as the "sitter of the first choice." This means if the custodial parent needs a babysitter, then the other parent should be the person that they call first.

Navigating divorce as a member of the military can become hard when you and your ex don't plan to live nearby one another or your communication is strained. It's in instances like these that structured visitation agreements work best.

Structured agreements may give specific pick-up and drop-off times for the children and outline locations where exchanges will occur. These agreements often specify what happens if a parent misses their scheduled visitation or there's a special request that a mom or dad has.

Regular visitation times may not be possible if a military parent is sent to another state or deployed abroad. The service member may have to trade off their child on holidays or summer vacations instead. They may also have to consider setting up involve virtual visitation sessions as well.

Both parents will need to figure out how to facilitate visitation if the service member mom or dad is deployed overseas. Children in such instances may be subject to what's referred to as substitute visitations. Children will generally spend time with a parent's siblings, mom or dad, grandparents or other close relatives instead of them in such instances. Service member parents may be able to request increased visitation before and after their deployment in these cases.

Ohio child custody agreements are always about what is in the best interest of the child. When a parent is involved in the military, it presents unique challenges to visitation. An attorney here in Hamilton can help you draft a parenting plan that you and your ex can adhere to.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email us for a response Review Us

Do you need an experienced family law attorney?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Review Us

Our Location

300 High Street, Suite 601
Hamilton, OH 45011

Phone: 513-895-0030
Fax: 513-737-1631
Hamilton Law Office Map